Paying It Forward
Community Service | Knights Give Back 2014
This year’s Knights Give Back on Oct. 11 marked the eighth anniversary of UCF students, alumni, faculty and staff, coming together to make a lasting impact on the Central Florida community through various service projects.
The New York UCF Alumni Chapter started early, manning a water station for the Susan G. Komen Race for a Cure in Central Park on Oct. 7.
On Oct. 11, many of UCF Alumni’s local and regional chapters and clubs participated in the official day of service with KGB events across the nation:
- The Chicago UCF Alumni Chapter helped to plant trees, and spread seeds and mulch at the Montrose Beach Bird Sanctuary.
- More than 70 UCF College of Sciences Alumni Chapter alumni and student volunteers assisted the UCF Biology Department with its efforts to restore degraded shorelines and oyster reefs by building oyster mats and replanting mangroves for future deployment at the Indian River Lagoon. | VIEW PHOTOS & FULL STORY
- UCF Community Volunteers Alumni Chapter members, along with UCF student volunteers, wore their get-dirty clothes to help clean headstones, grave markers and memorials at Greenwood Cemetery.
- The Palm Beach County UCF Alumni Chapter partnered with Paint Your Heart Out and the Solid Waste Authority of Palm Beach County to paint the exterior of an elderly couple in need in West Palm Beach.
- Philadelphia UCF Alumni Club volunteers packed food for local families in need at the Philabundance Hunger Relief Center.
- The Tampa Bay UCF Alumni Chapter partnered with The Salvation Army of Hillsborough, Chase Bank, Tampa Bay Harvest and Wigwam Organics, as well as other community partners, to support local food banks in the Tampa Bay area.
- Volusia/Flagler County UCF Alumni Club members donned their sneakers and sunscreen to help clean up Turie T. Small Elementary School and its surrounding area.
In addition, Washington D.C. UCF Alumni Chapter volunteers walked dogs around to perspective families through Lucy Dog Rescue on Oct. 12; the Charlotte UCF Alumni Club will paint a house for Habitat for Humanity on Oct. 18; and, on Oct. 25, Baltimore UCF Alumni Club members will clean up the wetlands/harbor and help with various landscaping/gardening projects on the campus of Living Classrooms, while the Dallas/Ft. Worth UCF Alumni Club will cheer on and provide water for runners in the CF Climb, the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation’s race for a cure.
Check out some more of the photos from this year’s Knights Give Back service projects.
Thank you to all of those Knights who give their time to help others!
Since 2007, UCF volunteers have served more than 22,000 hours at Knights Give Back, saving Orlando more than $440,000! Go Knights!